You probably have a pretty good idea of the stuff you'd have to give up as a digital nomad.
The thing is: you're wrong.
Be ready to raise an eyebrow or two.
Stuff you can't do as an LIP:
- Lean on work as an excuse for why you're not living the life of your dreams.
- Go without a laptop you love. (You don't have to buy new.)
- Show up at every event that your family and friends throw back home. (But you can show up on the driveway one night, suddenly standing in front of their car as they back in to the garage, and be very pleased at the ruckus you cause.)
- Hide your nomadic nature from your employer or clients. They'll eventually figure it out. Own the decision early.
- Get great haircuts from your favorite hairdresser every time you need a trim. (It can get -- quite literally -- ugly. Simple haircuts help. Sorry.)
Stuff you (surprisingly) can:
The key? Prioritize. Then look at the list, bite your nails a bit, and keep shrinking it. Maybe Fido stays with your sister for a few years. Perhaps you have a tough conversation with your boss and HR. Maybe you sell your house -- but maybe you don't. Eventually, you'll get to a place where you can do everything you really want to do out there in the world.
And then, you have my permission to break out into show tunes.